Friday, December 02, 2011

The three-time national award winner speaks to spriha srivastava about breaking away from old patterns with his new film Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji

IIPM: What is E-PAT?

Reinventing Madhur Bhandarkar

When did you begin to aspire to be in the film industry? Was the desire of being a filmmaker always in your heart?
I have had a passion for cinema since I was a kid. I used to be very fascinated when I used to go and see the shooting of various movies. Even when I was a delivery boy at a video cassette library, I used to be thrilled to be surrounded with all those videos of great cinema, and to also deliver to some of the hot-shots of the industry. Then, when I finally got a chance to work as an assistant director with Ram Gopal Varma, I knew that this is my calling, and I have been dreaming of a journey that was always meant for me. I have not just been a crazy viewer of cinema, but I have also been an avid reader when it comes to cinema. I have learnt filmmaking from the great makers like Guru Dutt saab. My classroom was always cinema halls and shooting locations, and my syllabus was the cinema that I watched with great passion.

You have always made films that represent a slice of real life. What made you decide to try your hands at comedy? Did you fear the risk associated with attempting a new genre?
Humour has always been a part of my life. Those who know me well know that I have a good sense of humour, without being very modest here. For a filmmaker, there are so many genres in cinema to explore. I know people expect serious, realistic and hard-hitting films from me because that’s what I have been making for more than a decade now. But I have always had a flair for comedy. I have wanted to make a comedy for quite some time now, but somehow things never fell in place, and I too wasn’t in the right frame of mind to make one. Post Chandni Bar, my whole life changed and a series of realistic cinema followed. Now, I think, is the right time to reinvent myself.

You have worked with very fine actresses. Please share some memorable moments spent with them.
Yes, I have been lucky when it comes to that. I have had the privilege of working with some very fine actresses of Hindi film industry. Tabu, Konkona (Sen), Priyanka (Chopra), Bipasha (Basu) and Kangana (Ranaut). If I was to start narrating memorable moments with them, then you might end up writing a book here, and I can’t just narrate a few because that won’t do justice to this talented bunch.

Ajay is considered to be a serious intense actor. Why did you choose him for Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji?
Though Ajay is considered a serious actor, he has done enough comic movies to know the trick behind comedy. I too am considered a serious filmmaker, but I have made a comedy as well. Being an artist is all about breaking and changing the clichés. I know that Ajay is a fine actor, and he is capable of reinventing himself with every movie he does. His comic timing is perfect. Yes, the type of movies that he has done in the past have type-casted him as a serious actor, but he is making an effort to change that and I appreciate his efforts. I chose him because he was perfect for the role of Naren. He did full justice to the role.

Jail is one movie which won critical acclaim but not commercial success. What do you think went wrong?
I really don’t understand what went wrong when it comes to Jail. The film is very close to my heart. It was a very difficult film to make. I got a lot of critical acclaim for it, but somehow it didn’t work commercially. I am as bewildered as you are! But then this is not an excuse I am giving you for the movie. Some movies work and some movies don’t.

Your dream project?
Every project for me is a dream till it releases, and then I go on my next one! I am human and I dream a lot. Two things that you learnt from your struggle and you would

like to share with upcoming filmmakers?
Never lose hope and always believe in yourself. The passion that has got you to come into the industry to be a filmmaker should always remain in your heart, no matter how many failures you have. But also learn from your critics and your failures. It will always help you in the long run. And please don’t ape anyone. Have your own identity!

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
Arindam Chaudhuri is Delhi franchise holder for i1 Super Series
Management Guru Arindam Chaudhuri Dean Business School IIPM
IIPM Excom Prof Rajita Chaudhuri
"Thorns to Competition" amongst the top 10 best sellers of the week.
IIPM RANKED NO.1 in MAIL TODAY B-SCHOOL RANKINGS
IIPM Mumbai Campus

No comments: