Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The Sanjay Dutt dossier

INDIA'S BEST COLLEGES, INSTITUTES and UNIVERSITIES

Sanjay Dutt's three decades in the Hindi film industry have been as turbulent as they have been tumultuous. In a chat with Subhash K Jha, Sanju Baba gets candid on Amar Singh, wife Maanyata and his relationship with his sisters

Sanjay DuttSanjay, how is life treating you?

It couldn't be better. I'm happy with my marriage, career and the handful of friends I can trust. I can count them on the tips of my fingers.

What do you think about your mentor Amar Singh turning into a movie actor?

He's pretty good at whatever he does. He's quite a movie buff.

Looking back, do you think that going into politics was a mistake?

I wasn't there for politics. I was there for Amar Singh. And I'll continue to be there in whatever capacity I am required. Helping people has always been my first priority. Even when I campaigned during elections for the Samajwadi Party, I was actually looking after Amar Singh, who was not very well. I was more concerned about him than the party, while he was slogging through his illness for the party. Now see, what the party has done for him. I'm glad he has dissassociated himself from the party.

You too have been through your share of betrayals?

That's what I told Amar Singh when his party had let him down. I told him it was God sent opportunity to know who his real friends are.

Your loyalty to Amar Singh remains unchanged?

He's more of a family than a politician for me. He has always been there for me during bad times. I respect him for that. I'll stand by him unconditionally. He's much misunderstood and even his political party misused him.

How often do you meet him now?

He doesn't come to Mumbai that often. But I visit him in Delhi and Lucknow.

Your dad Sunil Dutt was a fabulous politician. Do you think politics is your cup of tea?

As I said, I did it for my brother, Amar Singh. Otherwise, politics is not my thing. Even my father was not really a politician. He wanted to help and bring about a change. When he took up an agenda, he saw it to the end. He promoted hockey in such a big way. I think he was more (of) a social worker. Politics was just a platform to achieve his means. Maybe you're right. I joined politics for emotional reasons rather than practical reasons.

Your career suffered because of politics?

Not at all. My movies, 'All The Best' did well. It came after I joined hands with Amar Singh. Although 'Blue' went over-budget.

Why don't you do a full-on action film?

I think the action movies are going through a bad phase in this country. We've to reach the level of the action which is seen in 'Iron Man' and 'Avatar'. Sadly, our cinema doesn't have an international market. I wonder why? If Chinese and Korean cinema can have a global market, why can't we? I think we need to change the way we make our movies for the global audience.

You're venturing into film production now?

Yes, we got delayed because of the recession. I don't want to make a small-budget film. My first film has to be a lavish spectacle. I think my film with David Dhawan would be the first Sanjay Dutt Production. But first let the industry recover from the recession. In my 30-year career, I've never seen such bad times in the industry.

Are you happy?

Very happy. It has been a 30-year innings. Things have changed so much in the industry. I'm lucky to have survived.

On a personal level?

Oh, I am very happy. My wife Maanyata really takes good care of me.

And your relationship with your sisters?

Perfect. Every family has its ups and downs. Our differences came into the news because we're the Dutts. Every household has its fights. But we can never be apart. We're the same blood.

What about a baby?

Maanyata and I really want to have a child. Let's see.

Anything else that you really want?

All I want is my freedom. I just need that one line from the law, 'You're free'. Every day I pray to be free. Otherwise everything is fine, I've started working out. And I am back in shape. I don't drink at all.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice Board
IIPM Prof Rajita Chaudhuri's Snaps
An array of unconventional career options
Arindam Chaudhuri: Movie time for Kapil Sibal

Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU): Students' Unions can not be banned

The hunt for hostel and paying guest (PG) accommodation for students
Best Colleges for Vocational Courses in India
Role of Media in the moulding of youth

No comments: